Thursday, February 16, 2006

Some more impressions

Feb 16
Kalinga Eye Hospital

A few things for now…

-It’s HOT now. And technically not even the start of summer yet. That’s a whole other kettle of fish reserved for March.

- I don’t think they quite understand the meaning of the word "chocolate" in Dhenkanal. Many fried snacks with the faintest hint of sweetness supposedly “taste like chocolate, yes?” They also call all the packaged candies “chocolates” – from the caramel kind to the mango variety to even those flavoured like cardamom.

- I’ve turned quasi-vegetarian! They eat meat but only a couple times a week, and I’ve realized I don’t even like it that much here. The veg dishes are just so tasty on their own, with lots of chickpeas etc for protein. That, and the meat is always random parts form the WHOLE animal… the other day at lunch I had to abandon my curry because of several chicken livers staring up at me. I just couldn’t do it.

- People here blatantly and happily pick their noses. I wish I lived in a country as free.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home