Friday, February 10, 2006

Initiation to Indian transit

Tues Feb 7
Pingua Eye Camp

I rode an Indian bus for the first time today. Granted, it was only the Kalinga Eye Hospital bus and not a public bus, but it still counts. Why? Because, a) I was dirtier when I got off than when I got on, and b) at least three people threw up. (P.S. Cait, that 'a)' and 'b)' is just for you!) We were on the way home from the eye camp, and the bus was filled with old men and little old ladies being taken into town for cataract surgery. When I say ‘filled’, I mean filled. They were squished 3 or 4 to a seat (while I comfortably shared my seat only with Sasmita, one of the ophthalmic nurses, who was asleep on my shoulder). Many other patients were sitting on the steps or in the aisle on little round stools. Only later did I realize they weren’t stools but upside-down, flat-bottomed plastic bowls. I figured out this pertinent fact when I heard a strange horking noise behind me, turned around, and saw the old women behind me vomiting into one of them. During the course of the 3-hour ride back to town, at least 2 others followed suit. (On a sombre, heavier note, they lost one of the two meals they can afford each day, and the cause was probably not simple motion sickness but more severe and persistent gastrointestinal problems.) However, no one seemed fazed by it, including myself - even when a woman spit up on the steps in front of me and some spray landed on my foot. It was only saliva by that point, the poor woman.

Fri Feb 10

I have lots to write and many posts already in the works but thought I’d drop a line and upload quickly now. For those wondering, I’m no longer very lonely! It’s still difficult at times living in a culture where I can’t communicate very easily, but the positives are outweighing the rough spots. The people here are terrific. It’s hard to stay lonely for long when you have five girls sitting around you braiding your hair, lying on your lap, and making fun of your attempts at Oriya.

More soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home